Requirements for Online MT Course
Medical Transcription Curriculum Requirements, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma and versatile with English language.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is helpful.
- Average spelling, verbal communication and memory skills.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment such as computer, fax, printer, foot pedal, voice recorders with good eye/hand/foot coordination.
- The ability to create documents in either Microsoft Word or another Windows program.
- Knowledge of internet and use of Email.
- Ability to hear and follow verbal instructions and convert them in to written text.
- Ability to maintain records.
- Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Good hearing skills with ability to discern what is being said or what is being meant even with accented speech.
- Last but not the least average to above-average typing skills.
PC Requirements for Online MT Course
Every student would need transcription equipment that includes a headset, a footpedal, computer and transcription software. You must take this course on a PC. If you can play your files comfortably without a foot-pedal, you do not necessarily require it for training. Detailed requirements are listed below:
- WindowsTM 98 or later
- Internet Explorer 6.x/7.x or Firefox 2.x
- 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM (256 MB or higher recommended)
- 56 KBPS modem (Broadband-DSL cable modem recommended)
- 40 GB hard disk space.
- Sound card and speakers (headphone port recommended)
- Display mode set to 800x600 pixels with 256 colors or higher
- Available USB port or serial port (for foot pedal)
- Printer Port
- Transcribes accurately, utilizing correct punctuation, grammar and spelling, and edits for inconsistencies.
- Accurately transcribes patient-identifying information such as name and Medical Record or Social Security Number.
- Consults references and dictionaries for medical procedures, terminology, and drugs .
- Has good knowledge of English Grammar and punctuation guidelines.
- Keeps a transcription log with accurate details of files transcribed.
- Distributes transcribed reports and collects dictation tapes if your client or job provider works on the old system of transferring voice data.
- Follows up on physicians' missing and/or late dictation and corrects inaccuracies in transcribed reports.
- Performs quality assurance check and keeps updated with newer technology and new medical words and procedures.
- Maintains all the records on disk for backup.